Reading Diversely

 


As we see the dismantling of DEI initiatives across America, could the calls to read diversely be headed in the same direction. 

First, why do we care about reading diversely? Without getting too much into the weeds, reading has historically been a way to disenfranchise communities. Your ability to read could have meant whether you owned a house, have a bank account, vote, etc. We aren't so far removed where X was actually someone's signature because they could not read or write. So, the ability to read and access books collectively is really a newish concept. A personal library was a status symbol for the longest and only afforded to the wealthy. Here we are now with a vibrant and very influential social media bookish community that has created frenzies over books and even started trends. So, I think 'You aren't reading diversely' has a certain tenor when someone's confronted. How does it translate for someone who wants to have fun with this hobby? From my observation perhaps it feels accusatory. Let me explain why.

I want to first acknowledge that we aren't always on the same page on what reading diversely means. Earlier in the year, there was an interesting conversation on what diversity means and how it should be applied to reading. I found the conversation to be circular and erring on the side of obtuse. In general, I think we can agree reading diversely means 'reading beyond the dominant culture' whatever that means for your lived experience. I think the quiet part is reading stories written by authors of color or who have marginalized identities, assuming that white, cis, and hetero, are markers of the dominant culture. Now the murky part is that readers aren't always aware of authors' backgrounds and characterizations/worldbuilding may not align with this definition of diversity. So, for a second let's assume the best in readers who aren't thinking about worlds beyond their experience. I can see how you could feel offended (if I squint). 

When I hear read diversely, it translates as being curious about something I don't know. Because I'm naturally a curious person, every month I do a wrap-up, and I think about what stories are missing and how can I be more intentional. Perhaps, I'm not offended because I think there's always room to read beyond my comfort. That, and I actually think provides an opportunity for me to show up in the world more empathically. I don't have to relate to removing certain words from my vocabulary, reconsider people who live differently than me, and confront my own privileges. I could probably go on but it would sound too preachy. What I want to say is there's a balance between reading what you like and something different that could be uncomfy. Reading diversely is about the unlimited amount of possibilities and there is enough content out there to try something well different. 

We are all grown (mostly), so do what you will with your free time and money but seriously consider if you get offended by reading diversely what is it that you hear. What is the resistance about? No one is suggesting that you stop reading what you like but make adjustments. That was a long way to say, is reading diversely important to you. Do you have a sense of what that even means? Why do you get offended when someone brings it up? If you're in the camp where it feels like shame and guilt, I would offer to think about what areas you can be more curious about. If you draw blanks there are always reading challenges to help, get you started. Here are a few that might get you started- 

#TheDiverseBaseline - Storygraph Challenge

TransRights Readathon March 22-29, 2024

#20bookbyblackfolx - Twitter and Instagram Challenge hosted by @melanatedreads 

You can also choose from any of the themed months to 😏 

Happy Reading!




Comments

Popular Posts