Setting Reading Goals

 It's that time of year when we collectively set or start setting reading goals, whether on GoodReads, Storygraph, or some other reading app. 


2024 Reading Challege
*Yes, I know I should make the switch but I haven't yet because my Kindle is tied to GoodReads so it's mostly a convenience factor. 

What I've noticed is reader set their reading goals 

  • Based on the previous year's goal
  • Average after a few years of reading
  • Increase/decrease from previous reading, or 
  • Aspirational reading goal. 

I've mentioned previously I always set my reading goals to 52 and this year is no different. So let's talk about setting reading goals...


The reason I set my reading goal at 52 every year is because 52 books means I'm committing to reading one book a week. I can do that; it feels comfortable, and there's no emotional attachment to the number. I do however set two more goals midrange and a stretch goal. The midrange goal is usually 150 which based on my reading pace (I will talk about a little later) I will hit and the stretch goal or aspirational is typically 225 or 250. I have not hit this number yet, but it's something to work towards after I hit both my base goal and midrange goal. With this strategy, I'm never disappointed because I will reach at least one of the other reading goals. The stretch goal is the inspiration for this post. 

Every year readers either are excited or disappointed because of their reading goals from the previous year. That emotional response then has some motivation to set the upcoming year's goals (for the most part). I've noticed this year in particular, a lot of readers saying the reading goal stressed them out so they will either forego the reading goal altogether or set it to one. Before I give unsolicited advice, I think you should do whatever makes the most sense. Reading should be a destresser/something you enjoy so if the goal makes you anxious make the best decision for you. For those of you who want to continue making reading goals, what I'm going to suggest is to be intentional with the number. 

Here's what I'm suggesting...

Step 1: Inventory your year.
    ***Are there months that you read less or have events that might impact your reading?

Graph of reading per month in 2023

For me I know there are roughly 4 months throughout the year that impact my reading so I always plan around them (May, July/August, and October). Are you graduating, planning a wedding, having a baby, moving, etc. all these things could have an impact on your reading goal?

Step 2: Calculate your reading pace (which is different than reading comprehension), essentially how long does it take you to finish a book. I know, I know, I'm asking you to do math which is blasphemous, but what this exercise will help you do is figure out how much time you have to commit to reading. 

The average reading pace is 100 pages = 3 hours.

For me 250 pages = 4 hours (romance), 4.5 hours (paranormal and romantic), and 5-6 hours (fantasy, mystery, and nonfiction).

*Audiobooks I listen sometimes at 2x or 3x speed which will decrease the time listen from anywhere 30 minutes to an hour. 

To find out your reading speed you can set a timer or there is a Kindle feature to learn your reading speed. On the bottom left corner after you read the first few pages the device will predict how much time it will take you to complete the book. I'm unfamiliar with other e-readers but if I had to guess there's a similar feature. If you don't have an e-reader, you can plug in the numbers into this calculator, similarly for my audiobook readers here's a playback calculator.

For example, I read 210 books last year (182 books = 41,354 pages and 28 audiobooks = 131 hours listened) which means I spent approximately 821 hours of my life reading last year (or if my math is right 34 days) and on average reading 18 books per month. Can I dedicate the same amount of time reading this year? Probably not, but maybe so that's why it's important for me to set a stretch goal that I don't expect to necessarily reach. It's a nice to have. In 2024, I will probably read closer to 100-150 books.

Here's the breakdown of many books you would have to read each month to hit your reading goal...

12 • 1 book | 13-24 • 1-2 books | 25-50 • 2-4 books |
51-75 • 4-6 books | 76-100 • 6-9 books |
101-150 • 9-13 books | 151-200 • 13-17 books.

Can you reasonably read and sustain this pace throughout the year?

Step 3: Unpack the emotional attachment to the number. What is your motivation to achieve this reading goal? When I was new to the reading community, I remember I wanted to be apart of the 100 books read club and then 200 books read. I'm comfortable saying hitting both milestones felt like a combination of a right of passage and a bit of bragging rights. It could be different for you. 

There is a ton of content out there to help you read more but I'm suggesting don't get sucked into that trap. Figure out what is a sustainable pace that works with your life. I know these steps might be more work to do, but if you think about the end and all you would have to read it puts things into perspective. Also, I want us to avoid resenting reading.

I've created a reading goal journal worksheet, which you can find here that walks you through the steps. Once you've done the worksheet then decide what your reading goal "should" be. 

Come back for additional reflections/discussion videos on setting reading goals.

coming soon


Hopefully, this blog post helped you reflect on your reading goal and was helpful. What is your 2024 reading goal? 

Happy Reading!




Comments

  1. My reading goal is 40 this year. Last year was 30 and I managed 36. So I'm pushing myself to read more and be realistic of my reading speed. My reasoning is because I want to expose myself to more stories. Having a number goal pushes me to stay in touch with the book community and remind myself to slow down and pick up a book. This world is full of distractions. Adding a number to my reading goal keeps me conscious of my habits. I loved that you mentioned having a stretch goal. Last year my stretch goal was 60 books because I read 30 books by mid-2023 but the end of the year, like you said, had impacts on my continued reading. Before this comment gets any longer, this was a great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! The bottom line is that if you're reading that's all that matters. Keep reading!

      Delete
  2. I gave up a reading goals. I go through periods where I read a lot and other times there is nothing I am excited to read. The only thing that bugs me when people listed at a faster pace is that I feel like that takes the fin out of listening and people just want to get through the book to make their goal. It’s suppose to be fun so that is the bottom line. I make an intention this week to read more different books, not just romance .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for contacting Weekend Reader, I will be in touch as soon as I read your comment. Happy Reading!

Popular Posts