Prepping for a Con

Bookish goal unlocked attend more book cons

In the past I've only attended single author events hosted by an indie bookstore or my local library. Because of the nature of the size I think there's less coordination especially when there's no travel (as in flight or crossing state lines). So I thought why not share how I prepped for the 2 cons that I will attend in August (One Love Reunion and Steamy Lit) which required me to travel.

The biggest thing I had to consider was HOW MANY BOOKS CAN I FIT IN MY LUGGAGE!! This question will be my eternal struggle. One Love I only had a carry on but with Steamy Lit I will be checking luggage. Which means my strategy for each con will be slightly different.

BEFORE THE CON


The first thing I did was create an attending author spreadsheet (I promise it will make sense). 

Here's how I organized my spreadsheet (image below)


  • Author Name - full list of attending authors for the con
  • Book - book title I would like signed. *I left the cell blank if I did not plan to have a book signed
  • Signature Type - dropdown menu 
    • Bookplate - will visit the author's table but will not have a physical book signed 
    • Sign - indicated I would like to have a book signed 
    • N/A - not visiting the table 
  • Notes - indicate if I preordered book, table/booth number, (if one was provided), book signing day/time, and other notes of things I don't want to forget.
  • Cost - keeps track of preorders or books bought on site. I try to put myself on a budget prior to the con but I'm also a treat yourself girlie when it comes to books. Also not pictured is my tentative budget. If you are like me and get excited setting a budget might help keep you on track from over spending. 
Once I have my spreadsheet organized I have a sense of how many books I plan to pack or will return with (not pictured is the book column is counting the number of books). In the case of One Love I will be returning with more books due to preorders so I need to adjust how many books I bring to be signed if I want everything to fit. 

*Bookplates are a great work around if you have to scale back because of luggage space. Some cons/authors have bookplates available for use, but you can also make your own. Pinterest has some really great ideas and I saw a few Etsy shops that had moderately priced templates for purchase. I made my own on Canva. 

AT THE CON


Now that you have your spreadsheet and you know which tables/booths you're going to visit I would recommend dividing your list again (popular authors, must visit, etc.). Popular authors will have longer lines so where possible you want to be strategic about when and who you see based on the signing. 

Supplies
  • Mask and hand sanitizer 
  • Dress comfortably 
  • A large tote/backpack to carry your books/merch
  • Sticky notes - each book I want signed I placed a sticky note with my name or how I would like the book signed IF the author is personalizing the book. 
    • I also use the sticky note as a bookmark to the page to sign. It makes it easy for the author
  • Pen/Marker just in case 
  • Camera and charger **Ask if the author is okay with photos being taken, DO NOT ASSUME
  • Touchup kit (gum, lip balm, makeup, wipes, etc.)
  • Stay hydrated (I packed a portable fan)
I asked on Twitter and Threads how many books to bring to sign and no more than 5 seemed to be the consensus, but I think 3 seems more reasonable at larger cons. Be mindful you are not taking up too much time in the line especially if you would like photos (again ask before taking a photo). 

As a side note make sure to make plans to see readers. In some cases I've spent years talking with folks in DMs and things get very busy at the con so plan ahead to see your internet friends. 

AFTER THE CON



Evaluate the damage and figure out how it's all coming home with you. In some cases the conference hotel can assist you with mailing books to your home address. But, you might want to plan ahead and pack a second bag just for your additional purchases 👀

As I attend more cons, I'm sure I will learn more secrets. But I'm curious to hear what are your con preparation methods? 

Happy book signing!



Comments

Popular Posts