I was gushing about one my favorite authors to my friend, and they asked "What makes them your favorite author?".
A simple question, right? Initially, I said I think it's because about talk about this a lot, I recommend her books often and I just enjoy her authorial voice. Though, this question got me thinking...What really makes an author a favorite to me? And lets be clear, I do not have just ONE favorite. Friends, I am wide open when I like what I like!
So for the last few weeks, I've been thinking about this question and because I'm me, I came up with a handy dandy points system.
Really if I'm being honest with myself, it was taking a long time to make the list and without the points everyone was going to make the list. So the points system was my attempt to keep me honest (yes, I'm going to do math). How I applied the points:
- Author owned the most books (any format) - 10 points *only one author received these points 😑
- Auto buy: translation if they have a book I will buy it, no summaries need to be read - 7 points
- 5 stars: pretty self explanatory, how do those 5 star ratings stack up. I assigned points if I gave any author's backlist a 5 star - 5 points
- Recommended often: essentially what authors do I recommend often and are on my recommendation lists - 4 points
- Auto read: slightly different than auto buy, in the sense I will read their books, but don't need to necessarily own the books (friends I really told on myself with these points) 😂 - 3 points
- Duplicate books: if there's a different cover give it to me! You know sometimes when the hardcover and paperback don't match or if there's a rerelease, or on the pesky occasion when I'm being very over zealous and just order the book twice by mistake 😏- 2 points
- Writes across genre: which could be category genre or subgenre- for example an author writes romance and mystery or across romance subgenres contemporary and romantic suspense - 1 point
This exercise was painful but I did it. I went through my bookshelves and did the math.
Update- Based on feedback/DMs I've created a spreadsheet to do the math for you. Here's the link it, please make a copy so that others can used the spreadsheet. Oh and don't forget to tag me. I've been loving seeing all the results 🤓
Here are my top 5* Favorite Authors....drum roll please 🥁🥁🥁*indicate ties
Honestly, I am surprised but also not surprised. 😜
Authors who made the top 10 include- Rebekah Weatherspoon, Tasha L. Harrison, Aveda Vice, Dria Anderson, Lucy Eden, Martha Wells, and Charish Reid. I would love to find out who your favorite authors are, so if you do the math let me know.