Gift, Read, Unhaul



Back in October I took a hard look at my bookshelves and realized I needed to get a handle on my TBR (to be read) list. I was encouraged that at least I read 1/4 of the books on each shelf, however it was still a lot of unread books. So, I embarked on a self-imposed reading challenge to read 20 selected books between October to December that I would specifically Gift.Read.Unhaul. 

Let's just say I didn't do as well as I thought I would. First, I've since learned TBR lists are too constricting for me because I'm a mood reader. In retrospect I started off strong and the lost interest by the midpoint because I wanted to read other books. Nonetheless, I was able to chip away at my list but I had also had to make some exceptions to :( Here's the breakdown: 


Gift: 5 books 


Thick (nonfiction)
New Worlds, Old Ways (backlist)
Eloquent Rage (nonfiction)
The Key to Happily Ever After (new release)
Anger is a Gift (backlist)
Read: 8 books 
The Tea Dragon Society (back list)
Graphic Reproduction (Fiction)
Homegoing (backlist)
Sabrina & Corina (new release)
The Wedding Party (new release)
Queen of the Conquered (ARC, new release)***
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (backlist)
How to be An Antiracist (nonfiction)
Unhaul: 2 books 
You're Welcome, Universe (backlist)
The Friend Zone (new release)
*Exceptions*: 5 books 
The Fifth Season (backlist) buddy read 2020
Little Panic (nonfiction) review and buddy read 2020
The Handmaid's Tale (backlist) Blog Post 2020 
Black Girls Must Die Exhausted (backlist) Blog Post 2020 
Oh My Gods (new release) SAVE 
In the end, there are more books in the READ section than any other section, but I have to think through the exceptions rule for next year. Oh yes, Gift, Read, Unhaul will return next year. I'm going to change it around though. One change is that I plan to start mid-year. I think number of books is a comfortable number so I plan to keep the list to 20. One of the biggest changes will be to organize the books between backlist and new releases. And lastly, as I mentioned have a structured exception rule ahead of time. I'm still thinking about what this change could look like, but will have it decided on by June. In the end, I'm happy with this personal challenge and the changes for 2020. 

Let me know if you plan to participate in Gift, Read, Unhaul challenge or some type of iteration. 


Comments

  1. There are a few here I want to read. I’ve added even more to my list now. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know what you what you read. Thanks for the follow!!!! You're the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for contacting Weekend Reader, I will be in touch as soon as I read your comment. Happy Reading!

Popular Posts