2022 Tackling My TBR

 

Be prepared to see progress that doesn't look like anything remotely close to progress 😲. Let's see the magic...

I started 2021 with 205 unread books and ended with 275. Babes, I actually read books off  my TBR but clearly I'm buying books faster than I can read them. At my estimation I'm reading about 10% of my physical TBR when the math all shakes out. So 2022 we are going to try and double that to 20%, which means again I should be focusing on books I own and maybe slow down on book buying [which does NOT mean a book buying ban]. 😅😏

Ebooks


Now, that I have a KU subscription, my e-library has gotten a bit dicey. Listen, when I'm in the mood for something really niche, KU comes in clutch. One could also argue, KU is a clear distraction for tackling my physical TBR but don't say that to my face. I am very sensitive. 2021 I started the year with 77 e-books  to read (TBR, Library, and KU) vs. 2022 starting off at 97 e-books to read (TBR, Library, KU, and bell hooks) *the bell hooks collection is related to a project I'm working on  😶

My current Kindle situation...


Looking at year differences I'm not doing too bad here. So, I take this as a win because your girl is moving a lot more books to the Read Collection. While I have a lot more work to do, I am definitely making progress and technically I've met my internal goal to have no more than 50% on my e-library TBR so, I think I'm going to move the goal post to 75% by the end of the year. Pray for me. 🙏

Next up...

Audiobooks 

Last year I was able to gloat that audiobooks I was using my library to listen to audiobooks; but then libro.fm happened 

2021
                                    
Own: 74  Read/Listened: 41     Own: 1 Read/Listened: 1   Own: 1 Read/Listened: 1


vs 2022

                                                           

Own: 76 Read/Listened: 43    Own: 3 Read/Listened: 2   Own: 1 Read/Listened: 1 Own: 29 Read/Listened: 17

Are these numbers horrible (114 owned, 61 listened)? No, not particularly because that puts me at about 53% reading rate. I think though, this is one area I can really chip away at and bring this number down. The focus for this part of my TBR is to focus on audible and libro.fm.

Now, that I've embarrassed myself, here's the plan-
1. Mid-year check-in [JUNE]
  • Make as much progress as possible. Yes, I'm keeping this loose because I'm not trying to stress and I'm also a mood reader. 
2. End of the year [DECEMBER]
  • Physical TBR read 20% of my physical TBR, 
  • E-book TBR no more than 50 unread e-books, and 
  • Audiobook TBR no more than than 45 unread books 
*These numbers are taking into consideration any new books I purchase/borrow. 

And, in order to keep me honest, I will do regular updates in IG stories. Oh, I should say this out loud now, this is a personal challenge I'm working through and in no way a judgement on anyone else's reading habits. The fact that I have so many unread books is a privilege. Books bring me joy and I'm doing my best to be a good steward of this joy. 

Do you have a plan to work through your TBR? I'm always open to tips...

Credit: Hannah William illustrator

Happy Reading!







Comments

Popular Posts